Common Mistakes 1 (看你犯了这样的错误没有?)


Chinese Style        It was so late there was no taxi.
American Style        It was so late that there was no taxi available.
       
Chinese Style        It's seven twenty o'clock.
American Style        It's seven twenty.
       
Chinese Style        Your coat is broken.
American Style        Your coat is torn.
       
Chinese Style        Let me help you to do your work.
American Style        Let me help you with your work.
       
Chinese Style        Susan didn't make a fault anyway.
American Style        Susan didn't make a mistake anyway.
       
Chinese Style        May I borrow your phone.
American Style        May I use your phone.


Chinese Style        Would you mind posting this letter for me ? Yes, certainly.
American Style        Would you mind posting this letter for me ? Of course not.
       
Chinese Style        He becomes better.
American Style        He got better.
       
Chinese Style        We'll have a hearing test tomorrow.
American Style        We'll have a listening test tomorow.
       
Chinese Style        I recommend you to take a long vacation.
American Style        I recommend that you take a long vacation.
       
Chinese Style        The last bus leaves at eleven o'clock. It's about eleven now, Hurry up !
American Style        The last bus leaves at eleven o'clock. It's nearly eleven now, Hurry up !
       
Chinese Style        It was still bright outside.
American Style        It was still light outside.

No comments: